The age old problem of phishing is becoming an everyday occurrence for most businesses. The volume of attempts to steal information is hitting historic levels and businesses need to equip themselves to meet this threat.
In the real world what can you do to mitigate the threats being faced? HW Technology believe in a layered approach to reducing the chances of being a victim.
How can you reduce the risks of phishing:
- Anti-spam and anti-virus filtering of your email services. This is a basic must have for all but will help reduce the overall amount of nuisance emails received.
- Implementation of two-factor authentication. Even if your users give up account and password information their accounts are protected by the second level of authentication. If the attackers don’t have the tokens, devices or keys they can’t login.
- Update devices both those physically in your business and any devices used by employees to access corporate data. It’s important to update mobiles and tablets as well as desktops, laptops and Macs.
- Understand what devices are in use within the business. Do you know what devices are being used by employees at home? BYOD has had a huge impact on productivity but on the flip side also brings numerous headaches to IT providers and teams.
Once you have addressed the basics above you need to look at educating your staff. It would be worth considering:
- Educating users to spot simple phishing and fraudulent emails, check the “from” address in the email. It may have a display name from a bank but if the email address is @gmail.com, clearly it isn’t.
- Check URL’s in an email. Type the sites address manually before entering information into an online form.
- Beware of certain social requests, urgent money transfers or gifts. These emails work on an emotional level that an urgent response is needed.
- Social media sites are home to a number of different scams. They target users who may use sites for work and pleasure and leverage the trust many people have with the global social media brands where they hide.
- Ask your employees to keep devices up to date as this will help patch and close holes in operating systems and software they use.
- Talk to other people. If a Director asks for a payment to be made urgently, go and ask if it was them. Verbal confirmation is a great confirmation check for any payments or accounts process in a business.
HW Technology provide strategy services to clients in relation to IT security and how to reduce the risks of an attack. Our clients are engaged in discussions to review current systems and processes and identify new ways of approaching system and data security.
If you feel you are not getting the support and services your business require, or feel exposed by the increasing threats facing businesses please get in touch.
To find out more, please call us on 0845 504 8989, or complete our contact form.